Monday, March 23, 2015

Pre-snow productivity


This past weekend, I made it a mission to get my north perennial garden tidied up. The majestic oak trees that grace this garden shed their leaves gradually over the winter, so spring means raking the wet and layered leaves off the garden, trimming back woody perennials and shrubs, shredding leaves and replacing them as mulch. I nearly finished this task in the front garden... and then the snow started to fall. So the tidying is on hold for now. 

We decided where to plant raspberry canes that I will dig at a friend's place as soon as the snow melts. Rich freed the bobcat from the mud, repaired a gate, and leveled an old hickory stump in the kitchen garden so that it can disappear under a raised bed.

The sundial at the center of the front garden was a family project. The dial came from my grandparents' house in Park Ridge, Illinois. I picked up the pedestal at a yard sale on my way home from work. It is plaster and so my dad sealed it with boat-building apoxy. My mom painted it grey/beige. I had just pulled it out of the shed when it snowed and I don't have the heart to move it back!

No comments:

Post a Comment