Sunday, April 29, 2018

Girdled roots on leaning golden sumac, clematis replant


Last summer's storm dislodged my golden sumac, and the cleanup did not include replanting it in the fall. I was prepared to rip it out this spring and surprised to find it still alive. Not so surprised, however, when I started digging.

The root ball was completely girdled, with the major root semi-circling the stump (above). The roots extend 5-6 feet out. Normally, one would cut off the girdling root, but here that could completely kill the shrub. Since the top of the shrub still looks healthy, I decided to see whether it will last another season. I can always rip it out later, right? I dug under the root ball and extending roots to sink it down a bit, covered with good soil and shredded leaves and watered well.

I also managed to yank up this clematis that I thought was gone and dead, as I had not seen it in the fall (looks like my plants are tougher than my faith in them). The roots of the clematis are an impressive woody orange mass. I had not planted the correct way last year, and the root ball was still in the square shape of the container I purchased the plant in.

I untangled the roots and trimmed the end.

Then I dug the hole and made mound, spreading the roots on either side. I back-filled with the same garden soil, topped with shredded leaves, and watered well.

No comments:

Post a Comment